Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What Heroin Did


Below is Danielle Pierleoni's story of her brother, Steven, and his death due to a heroin overdose. Her heart's desire is to spread awareness so other's do not have to experience a similar tragedy.  



My name is Danielle; I’m 24, and I've lived in Rochester, NY all my life. I love my hometown even though it can often be a constant reminder of the tragedy that Heroin caused my family and friends. I have seen the way alcohol, prescription pills, meth, opioids, and other drugs have affected those around me; but I have never seen anything worse than the damages of Heroin.

This drug does not discriminate against age, race, class, gender, or sexual orientation. Heroin continues to take the lives of people young and old, black and white, gay or straight; it does not matter.

My brother, Steven, mistakenly took his life by using Heroin after 18 months heroin-free at the age of 20, just a short two months away from his 21st birthday. Before drugs, my brother was the life of the party. He was someone everyone looked up to and idolized. He was very handsome, intelligent, and downright hilarious. He was constantly laughing and always surrounded by friends. Steven was very charismatic and probably would have made a successful comedian one day.

However, once Steven entered high school, drugs began to play a huge role in his life when he began hanging out with older kids and local drug dealers. Drugs were at every party, down the street, and even in school. Smoking weed, drinking booze, and snorting pills were almost inevitable. Soon pills, Molly, Cocaine, and eventually, Heroin, became the new party drugs.

Heroin stole my brother’s life and many of his friends who were using. Nothing mattered anymore, only getting the next fix. When rock-bottom hit, the struggle to get better seemed nearly impossible. The lack of will, resources, and support left my brother feeling helpless. He felt ashamed and too shy to socialize, which led him back down his dark path after countless rehabs and finally an 18-month sober living program before he passed.

As the sister of an addict, I wish I would have been more vocal about my brother's addiction. I wish that I, too, was not ashamed of what happened to our family. We lost thousands of dollars to stolen jewelry, electronics, forged checks, hospital visits, ambulances, detox, rehabs, and sober living facilities.

I think we all wanted nothing more than to be normal again. My brother felt such guilt and shame; it was almost easier to go back to Heroin than it was to face reality.

My advice to addicts and their loved ones is to know you are not alone and support exists. Parents, friends, and family members, please make an effort to educate yourself as much as you can through research. There is more helpful information readily available to the public now that Heroin use has reached epidemic proportions.

Tell your loved one who is hurting you are there for them when they are ready to get help. All you can do is let them know you will support their sobriety in any way you can but NOT their addiction.

Enabling is so easy to do when you love them and want to see them get better. It's also very easy to be angry with your addicted friend or loved one. You must remind yourself the person they have become is not who they truly are. When Heroin takes over, they no longer think or act the way they normally did.

Think twice before saying 'yes' when your child's doctor (or your own) recommends prescription medications, especially opioids. These types of medications are highly addictive and often lead addicts to their next drug of choice. A drug that is much cheaper and doesn't require a script. The drug is Heroin.

Beating addiction IS possible. Do not give up so easily. Humans have more willpower than we give ourselves credit. You CAN overcome Heroin's grasp.

6 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry to hear of yet another loss to this horrific drug. My beautiful daughter died of an overdose just one month ago. I have started a group for anyone affected by addiction - especially those in the Rochester area. It's time we are heard. You can find us on facebook at Shannon's Song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellie, may I have more information about your support group? I would love to share it on this blog. As a mother of a heroin addict currently in detox, I know how important it is to spread awareness and hope. Thank you for what you are doing. My email is kbuckert14@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.facebook.com/chasingthescream/?fref=ts You need to educate yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a recovered heroin addict also from Rochester NY. I just published a book last year of my testimonial.... it's called From Heroin to Heaven and it's on Amazon. Email me if you want to chat. I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, thank you for sharing your story as I never found the words to be able to write an article myself to reach out to all the aching family and friends of addicts. As a big sister who also lost her only brother(and sibling) at the age of 20(few months shy of his 21st Birthday), my heart cries with yours. I moved from Queens,NY to Cape Coral, FL to start a new journey to continue making my brother proud, but we all know the pain never will go away. As for Kellie, Kathy, thank you for also being a part of organizations to try and build awareness of this raging epidemic that is only taking our loved ones away from us. I send you all my love and good energy and I hope you know our angels are always guiding us. And for Mariah, I commend you for your journey with overcoming addiction and I know it's always going to be a constant battle. You can do it! I looked up your book on Amazon and will be purchasing it! Although strangers, we all understand one another and have fought a lot of the same battles, so we all must continue sticking together to make this drug disappear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sickens me to know end. My daughter Taylor overdoes and passed away Dec. 22 2015. This was 8 days after her 18th birthday and a few month shy of her High School Graduation. These children and young adults now adays think they are invincible and that just a little taste or a small puff is harmless. WRONG. Now adays, these drugs are 10-100 of times more potient than where available back in our days. Not to mention all the toxic chemicals being added to the routine drugs to cut there products to make more product weight to sell.
    I could go on all day over this, but no one will listen and another 20-30 people will die while I'd site her to explain. ������

    ReplyDelete